This stream will focus on the challenges of using various kinds of qualitative interviewing as a primary method of data generation, whether in the form of unstructured and semi-structured interviewing, narrative methods, oral and life history interviewing, focus groups, creative interviewing methods or other elicitation techniques.
As well as considering the practical and ethical challenges of working with such methods, the stream will also focus on the analytical challenges of working with qualitative interview data.
Topics of interest to expand upon include (but are in no way limited to) the following:
- researcher positionality and insider-outsider research;
- the use of creative and sensory methods in interview-based fieldwork;
- epistemological and practical challenges of working with interview data;
- combining interview data with other forms of data;
- different approaches to analysis;
- the use of qualitative data analysis software.
MethodsX Stream Lead: Benjamin Saunders (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Upcoming Events for Interview-based Qualitative Research Methods X Stream 2019/20
First Stream Meeting – Tuesday 10th December, 11am – 2pm, Simon Building Room 3.44B, University of Manchester
Second Stream Meeting – TBC
Methods X Conference 2020 – Friday 15th May, Keele University